Everyone has bad days from time to time. You have only two options: wait it out or do something to improve things.
Even though you can’t use a time machine, there are many things you can do to make your day more enjoyable. Even if you got out of bed on the wrong side, there’s still time to save the day and get something good out of it.
If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. Booker T. Washington
How to get the most out of a day that’s off to a bad start:
1. Have a bath or a shower. A hot tub might be even better. Whether the water is hot or cold, it doesn’t matter. How the water feels on your skin can change your mood and how you see things. It will get you out of any bad mood you might be in.
Everyone can’t jump up and take a shower any time of the day. I work at home, so this is something I have done and found refreshing.
2. Take a short nap. After a brief nap, you can start the day over with a new attitude. Be careful not to sleep too long. Sleeping too long in the day can affect your sleep at night.
3. Talk about it with a friend. You know that friend who always makes you feel better? Just give them a call and let them do their thing. Even so, they probably can’t wait to hear from you.
4. Subtract something from your plans. Find the least important thing on your list and get rid of it. When your day gets off to a bad start, it can seem impossible to do everything on your list. Try to find some hope.
5. Spend some time with an animal. You might feel better watching your fish or hermit crab swim around, but you might feel better if you pet a dog or cat. I love dogs (boxers) and have found interacting with them relaxing.
6. Laugh at yourself. Watch a funny movie. Laugh at some jokes. Use YouTube to your advantage. I often find old westerns funny.
7. Play music that makes you feel good. You already know which song makes you smile every time you hear it. I love music it is my favorite motivator; I exercise to it and work to it; it makes me move and my heart pump. Up-tempo Jazz, with no vocals, just music, is my favorite. You should make a list of songs that you can listen to whenever you want. Hold on to them. Your cell phone could be a great place to store things.
8. Go for a run. Any physical activity will do. You could lift weights or play tennis. Start your heart beating and your lungs breathing. If you don’t go overboard, you’re sure to see your day in a better light. I play the Wii exercise games. Yes, I still have a Wii!
9. Make a gratitude list. When you’re feeling down, you’re likely focusing too much on the things you don’t like about your life. Try to think of something good. Make a list of all the good things in your life to remind yourself how great it already is. I often count my blessings.
10. Look at a few pictures. Look at your high school yearbook or the Facebook pages of your friends. Think back to how you and your siblings looked when you were all young. Keep a few photos that always make you smile on your phone.
11. Consume some chocolate. Chocolate is a good way to make yourself feel better. Even dark chocolate has health benefits. Eating a pound of chocolate is not a reason if you’re having a bad day, but a few small bites might help.
12. Meditate on God’s Word. Meditation has become a common way to deal with stress.
Galatians 6:9 ESV And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
Even more, many big companies are putting in places for meditation at work. When you meditate often, it can make you feel much better and help you concentrate better.
Don’t forget that what seems like a bad day might just be a bad minute that has ruined your mood. Even though bad days seem to come out of nowhere, that doesn’t mean you have to put up with them.
You can change your day. Just take a deep breath and do your best. You already know a lot of ways to fight back!
There are many things you can do to make a bad day better. Subtract something from your list and get rid of it. Play music that makes you feel good and exercise.
If you’re feeling down, you’re likely focusing too much on the things you don’t like about your life.
Make a list of all the good things in your life to remind yourself how great it already is. Go ahead, consume some chocolate to make yourself feel better!
Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life. Burton Hill !-–